- Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- 10.1-megapixel CMOS sensor
- 3.0-inch LCD monitor
- EOS 40D elevates digital photography to new heights
- Powerful DIGIC III Image Processor
- 14-bit A/D conversion means fine transitions from light to dark tones
Huge Sensor for Tremendous Photographs - Superb image quality: 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, extensive noise reduction technology, and 14-bit conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations.
Canon's large-area CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and offers the most pixels in its class. This APS-C size sensor (22.5 x 15.0mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective angle of view that is 1.6x the normal EF Lens focal length. 14-bit A/D conversion means fine transitions from light to dark tones, and a significant drop in digital and shadow noise. The EOS 40D has an extensive ISO range (from 100 to 1600, plus ISO 3200* in extended mode) which is selectable in 1/3 stop increments. The EOS 40D's CMOS sensor uses much of the new technology first seen in the EOS-1D Mark III camera. New manufacturing techniques mean each pixel is more sensitive to light, and less area between pixels is wasted on the sensor. The on-chip noise reduction electronics are also entirely new, and combine with the sensor's general design for less digital noise and better high-ISO performance than ever before. This results in larger, clearer, sharper and more detailed photographs right from the start. * Standard output sensitivity. Recommended exposure index.
The Speed to Capture Anything You Can Imagine. Outstanding performance: 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs or 17 RAW images and DIGIC III Image Processor.
Developed to maximize performance between the capture and recording stages of digital photography, the EOS 40D's DIGIC III processor is faster and more powerful than ever. The latest-generation DIGIC III Image Processor works in concert with Canon's CMOS sensor to achieve even higher levels of performance. The entire electronic system is totally re-designed, giving the camera its incredible combination of speed and image quality. Digital noise is significantly reduced in shadow areas, and color reproduction is superior.
The EOS 40D is one of the fastest digital SLRs offered at this price. It shoots up to 6.5 fps, making it ideal for everything from wildlife to sports. It can capture up to 75 JPEGs, or 17 RAW images in one burst. Whether it's the 0.15-second startup time, the high-speed mirror drive, the brief shutter lag time (only 59 msec), or the predictive AF focusing for capturing the action, the EOS 40D will amaze and delight photographers who don't want to wait for their camera when they're ready to shoot.
The Strength to Handle Anything - Strong, rugged build quality: magnesium-alloy exterior, shutter durability-tested to 100,000 cycles, top speed 1/8000, top x-sync speed 1/250.
Solid Build - The EOS 40D has a solid, substantial feel that complements its compact dimensions. Designed to withstand the rigors of everyday use, the EOS 40D's exterior is constructed with lightweight and ultra-rigid magnesium-alloy that fits perfectly in the hands of the photographer.
Rugged Shutter - The EOS 40D is designed to perform flawlessly, again and again. It has an improved high-speed and durable shutter unit, designed to respond in an instant, reaching a top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. and tested to a remarkable 100,000-cycle shutter life. A top flash sync speed of 1/250 sec. ensures full flash flexibility in bright or dim light.
Sharp, Fast Focus, No Matter the Light - New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors, and world's first diagonal high-precision cross-type AF at center point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.
The EOS 40D takes some of the most advanced features from Canon's professional cameras and incorporates them into its design. It has a newly designed, high-precision 9-point wide area AF that uses cross-type points with lenses f/5.6 or faster, enabling the camera to focus faster, more accurately, and in ever more complex lighting. Each of the nine AF points has this cross-type coverage, a first in Canon AF SLRs. Adding to this AF performance, the 40D incorporates a diagonally mounted, high-precision cross-type sensor at the center AF point that is sensitive to both vertical and horizontal lines when fast lenses (f/2.8 or faster) are used, for for added accuracy and precision with these wide-aperture lenses. It's the world's first AF SLR where both lines of a cross-type sensor offer high-precision AF coverage. All focus points can be chosen automatically, or accessed using the 40D's intuitive, thumb operated Multi-Controller.
Spot Metering - The EOS 40D also includes a spot meter function that measures roughly 3.5% of the center of the image.This new metering function, added to Canon's impressive Evaluative, Center Weighted averaged and Partial-metering modes, gives the photographer even more choices for custom-tailored shooting.
Highlight Tone Priority - This vital Custom Function lets photographers get even better detail in bright highlights, even in contrasty lighting conditions. It's beneficial for nearly any type of picture, from mid-day shots on a safari to portraits in sunlight, where a user may encounter bright highlight areas where he or she wants to preserve details. Finally, there's no impact on the camera's shooting speed or burst rate when Highlight Tone Priority is engaged. It takes full advantage of the EOS 40D's new 14-bit per channel conversion, meaning there are 16,384 distinct tones from darkest to lightest in each color channel.
The Promise of Perfect Images - EOS Integrated Cleaning System, Picture Style settings, Spot metering, and Highlight Tone Priority for advanced in-camera image control.
EOS Integrated Cleaning System - Photographers who must change lenses in dusty environments will find the advanced Canon EOS Integrated Cleaning System a tremendous time saver. Dust that settles on the sensor surface is removed using ultrasonic vibration. This Self Cleaning Sensor Unit routine is automatically activated whenever the camera is powered on or off. (It can also be manually activated.) A special collar positioned around the sensor collects the loosened dust. Dust particles can also be automatically removed via software. By shooting a plain white subject, the photographer can acquire dust position data that is transmitted along with the image (whether JPEG or RAW). Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) version 3.1 or higher software can then be used to manually or automatically erase the dust spots. It's not one feature, it's a built-in system to minimize the effect of dust in high-resolution digital images.
Self Cleaning Sensor Unit - A key element of minimizing dust is preventing it from clinging to the front surface of the imaging sensor. To combat against this, the EOS 40D features a Canon-designed Self Cleaning Sensor Unit. The low-pass filter at the front of the sensor shakes off dust automatically with ultrasonic vibrations, removing dust from the sensor assembly.
Dust Delete Data Detection - Dust that may still remain on the front of the sensor can also be erased with software included in Digital Photo Professional (DPP) Version 3.1 or higher. A simple test shot of a plain, white object can be taken, using a menu setting. This Dust Delete Data image is analyzed in-camera, and the location and size of any remaining dust is added to any subsequent pictures taken. This data is transmitted along with the image, whether JPEG or RAW, and can be either manually or automatically erased in Canon's DPP version 3.1 and up. This added software option ensures the cleanest possible image, perfect for printing or archiving.
Picture Style settings - With Picture Style technology and the EOS 40D, photographers can recreate characteristics of their favorite films. Color, saturation, sharpness and contrast settings create noticeable variation in the saved image. In addition to six preset Picture Style settings (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful and Monochrome), users can create three additional settings for their particular photographic style.
Picture Style Settings
|Standard (default setting)||Vivid, sharp images; usable in a wide variety of conditions; optimal for direct printing without post-processing.||High||Slightly High|
|Portrait||Warmer skin tones, with slightly more contrast than Neutral.||Slightly High||Slightly Low|
|Landscape||Extremely bright, saturated and sharpened images, with emphasis on blue and green color saturation.||High Green-Blue||High|
|Neutral||Low sharpening, contrast and saturation: the ideal starting point for image-editing in the computer.||Low||None|
|Faithful||Accurate reproduction of the subject's colors based on colorimetric data; assumes 5500K light source.||Low||None|
|Monochrome||Black & White images; adjustable contrast, sharpening, as well as color toning and effects of traditional color filters.||None (Monochrome)||Slightly High|
The most diverse composing options available in digital photography - Large 3.0-inch LCD monitor and advanced Live View Function with new options for reduced shutter time lag and quiet operation.
Live View Function is a powerful feature on the EOS 40D. It enables viewing your subjects directly on the huge 3-inch LCD monitor. It's easy to magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focus. But now, one press of the AF-on button gives instant access to AF; Live View Function returns as soon as the button is released. Users can even choose a grid overlay, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In the Studio, Live View Function can be used remotely via a computer through the EOS 40D's USB connection, or wirelessly or via Ethernet with the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A attached. Live View Function also adds a totally new method for near-silent shooting, with two silent shooting modes. A new AF ON button, positioned for easy reach with the right thumb, can instantly allow AF whenever it's depressed in Live View Function. (Live View Function is temporarily cleared for AF, and returns immediately when the user's thumb is removed from the button.)
Shooting and Sharing Made Easy - Wide range of accessories, including interchangeable focusing screens, extensive remote control options, and new battery grip BG-E2N.
EF & EF-S Lenses - EOS 40D is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF and EF-S lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Special optical technologies, such as Aspherical, ultra-low dispersion, or fluorite elements are featured in the universally acclaimed L Series lenses, and Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer technology in select lenses minimizes the effect of camera shake. Through Canon lenses, photographers can truly maximize the quality and liberating performance of the EOS 40D.
Flash Photography - The EOS 40D features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system. With any of the flashes in the EX Speedlite line, E-TTL II provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness. With E-TTL II, the exact same 35-zone metering sensor used for measuring ambient light is also used for flash metering - giving even finer metering command of the image area. If you prefer a broader area for flash metering, there's a menu setting to change to Average flash metering?where the entire 35-zone area is measured evenly for flash exposure.
Canon's Speedlite 580EX II is perfectly suited to the EOS 40D. It has improved reliability of communications through the direct contacts, has a metal flash foot, and is dust- and water-resistant. Other new features include a PC socket on the flash unit, and an external metering sensor for non-TTL auto flash if desired. With the EOS 40D, you can set most flash settings directly from the camera's menus. It has the same power as the previous Speedlite 580EX (maximum guide number of 190 ft./58m at ISO 100) and, when mounted on the camera, automatically compensates for the camera's sensor size, enabling high output flash, with more flashes per charge. It includes an AF-assist Beam, which works in conjunction with the EOS 40D's focusing system, and automatically sends color temperature information to the camera when the flash fires, for more accurate white balance rendition with flash photography
Software - Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk (Version 15.0)
The EOS 40D comes bundled with an updated Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk, which features powerful software programs designed to extend the EOS experience to the computer. These include Canon's ZoomBrowser EX for Windows? (Version 5.8), ImageBrowser for Macintosh? OS X (Version 5.8), Digital Photo Professional (Version 3.1), the totally new Picture Style Editor (Version 1.0), Canon's EOS Utility (Version 2.1), RAW Image Task (Version 2.7), PhotoStitch, and PTP TWAIN Driver. Each application is designed to perfect captured images and streamline the digital workflow. ZoomBrowser EX v.5.8 and Digital Photo Professional v.3.1 for Windows are compatible with the new Windows Vista operating system, too.
Digital Photo Professional (Version 3.1) - is an image processing program that enables high-speed RAW image processing, high-speed previewing for real-time image adjustment and support for sRGB, Adobe RGB and Wide Gamut RGB color spaces. Because it's CMS (Color Management System) compatible, Digital Photo Professional allows for easy image layout and printing in Adobe RGB in conjunction with Easy-PhotoPrint and PictBridge printers. It also features the Dust Delete Data Detection tool for cleaner images.
EOS Utility (Version 2.1) for Macintosh or Windows - handles the connection between the camera and computer, whenever they're connected via USB. It allows remote controlled shooting from the computer, handles downloading of images from the camera to the computer, and allows seamless linking to either Canon's ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser or Digital Photo Professional software once images have been copied to the hard drive. Furthermore, it's used to upload settings back into a USB-connected camera.
ZoomBrowser EX (Version 5.8) for Windows and ImageBrowser (Version 5.8) for Mac OS X - are the easy, user-friendly options for viewing and editing of JPEG and even RAW image files. Both allow viewing of numerous types of images including finished TIFF and BMP files. Both also have a variety of search options for finding images, allow re-naming of single images or batches of files, and offer a variety of options for printing without using a separate image-editing program.
RAW Image Task (Version 2.7) for Windows/Macintosh - This software is an integrated component of ZoomBrowser EX (Windows) or ImageBrowser (Mac). It allows processing of RAW images from EOS cameras, including the new EOS 40D, with a variety of adjustment possibilities. These options, as well as the overall color, contrast and look of RAW Image Task, closely mimic the characteristics of Canon's in-camera JPEG processing.
- Type: Digital AF/AE SLR
- Recording Medium: CF Card Type I and II and external media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A)
- Image Format: 0.87 x 0.58 in./22.2 x 14.8mm (APS-C size sensor)
- Compatible Lenses: Canon EF, EF-S, TS-E, and MP-E lenses
- Lens Mount: Canon EF mount
- Lens Focal Length Conversion Factor*: 1.6x
- Type: High-sensitivity, high-resolution, single-plate, CMOS sensor
- Pixels: Approx. 10.10 megapixels
- Total Pixels: Approx. 10.50 megapixels
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Low-pass Filter: Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor
- Recording Format: DCF 2.0 (Exif 2.21): JPEG, RAW and RAW+JPEG simultaneous recording possible. Multiple options for recording images on a memory card.
- Image Format: JPEG, RAW (Canon CR2)
- File Size
1. JPEG/Large: Approx. 3.5MB (3,888 x 2,592)
2. JPEG/Medium: Approx. 2.1MB (2,816 x 1,880)
3. JPEG/Small: Approx. 1.2MB (1,936 x 1,288)
4. RAW: Approx. 12.4MB (3,888 x 2,592)
5. sRAW: Approx. 7.1MB (1,936 x 1,288)
- Folders: Automatically created by camera; can be user-created with Manual Reset file naming setting
- File Numbering:
1. Continuous numbering
2. Auto reset
3. Manual reset (the image numbering is reset to 0001, a new folder is created automatically)
- Color Space: Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
- Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed, mini-B port. NTSC/PAL for video output
- Settings: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Custom WB setting, user-set Color Temperature (2,500~10,000K)
- Auto White Balance: Auto white balance, taken from imaging sensor
- Personal White Balance:
White balance bracketing: Three consecutive images written to CF card for each firing of shutter; Up to +/- 3 levels in 1-step increments
White balance shift: blue/amber bias and/or magenta/green bias +/- up to 9 levels; manually set by user
- Type: Eye-level SLR with solid glass pentaprism
- Coverage: Approx. 95% horizontally and vertically
- Magnification: 0.95x (-1 dpt with 50mm lens at infinity)
- Eyepoint: Approx. 22mm
- Dioptric Adjustment Correction: -3.0 to +1.0 diopter
- Mirror: Quick-return half mirror (Transmission: reflection ratio of 40:60)
- Viewfinder Information: AF (AF points, focus confirmation light), Exposure (shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, AE lock, exposure level, spot metering circle, exposure warning), Flash (flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light), Image (monochrome shooting, maximum burst, white balance correction, CF card information)
- Depth-of-Field Preview: Enabled with depth-of-field preview button; possible in Live View Function
- Eyepiece Shutter: None
- Type: TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
- AF Points: 9 cross-type AF points, including center AF point; fully functional with f/5.6 or faster lenses
- Additional high-precision, diagonal cross-type sensor at Center AF point, used with lenses f/2.8 or faster
- AF Working Range: EV -0.5 ~18 (ISO 100 at 73 F/23 C)
- Focusing Modes: Autofocus (One-Shot AF, Predictive AI Servo AF, AI Focus AF), Manual Focus (MF)
- AF Point Selection: Automatic selection, Manual AF point selection
- Selected AF Point Display: Superimposed red illumination in viewfinder; also visible on top or rear LCD panel when AF point select button is pressed
- AF-assist Beam: Intermittent firing of built-in flash
- Metering Modes: 35-zone TTL full aperture metering
1. Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
2. Partial metering (approx. 9% of viewfinder)
3. Spot metering (approx. 3.8% of viewfinder)
4. Center-weighted average metering
- Metering Range: EV 0-20 (ISO 100 at 73 F/23 C with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)
- Exposure Control Systems: Program AE (shiftable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Auto Depth-of-field AE (non-shiftable), Full auto (non-shiftable), Programmed image control modes, Manual exposure, E-TTL II autoflash program AE
- ISO Speed Range: Equivalent to ISO 100-1600* (in 1/3-stop or whole stop increments), ISO speed can be expanded to ISO 3200
* Standard output sensitivity. Recommended exposure index.
- Exposure Compensation: Exposure Compensation (user-set): +/-3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-half increments
Auto: Applied in One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering when focus is achieved
Manual (user-set): By AE lock button in all metering modes
- Type: Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically controlled
- Shutter Speeds: 1/8000 to 30 sec. (1/3-stop increments), X-sync at 1/250 sec.
- Shutter Release: Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self-timer: 10 sec. delay, 2 sec. delay
- Remote Control: Canon N3 type terminal
- Type: Auto pop-up, retractable, built-in flash in the pentaprism
- Guide Number: 13/43 (ISO 100 in meters/feet)
- Recycling Time: Approx. 3 sec.
- Flash-ready Indicator: Flash-ready indicator lights in viewfinder
- Flash Coverage: 17mm lens focal length (equivalent to 27mm in 35mm format)
- Flash Metering System: E-TTL II autoflash
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3- and 1/2-stop increments; Can be set on EOS 40D body or with most EX-series speedlites
- Type: TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
- Screen Monitor size: 3.0 in.
- Pixels: Approx. 230,000 pixels
- Coverage: Approx. 100%
- Brightness Control: 7 levels provided
- Image Display Format: Single image, 4-image index, 9-image index, Jump, Magnified zoom (approx. 1.5x to 10x), Histogram, AF point display, Auto rotate, Rotate
- Live View: View image before shooting on LCD monitor; live histogram and live simulation of exposure level possible with C.Fn IV-7-1
- Highlight Alert: In the single image display and (INFO) display, over-exposed highlight areas will blink
- Protection: Single image or all images in the memory card can be protected or cancel the image protection
- Erase: Single image, select images, all images in a CF card or unprotected images
- Direct Printing from the Camera: Enabled with the Print/Share button
- Compatible Printers: CP and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge compatible printers (via USB Interface Cable IFC-200U, included with camera kit)
- Settings: Print quantity, style (image, paper size, paper type, printing effects, layout), trimming, tilt correction (compatibility varies, depending upon printer in use)
- Menu Categories
4. Custom function/My Menu
- LCD Monitor Language: 18 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
- Battery: One dedicated Battery Pack BP-511A.
AC power can be supplied via the optional AC Adapter Kit ACK-E2
- Number of Shots:
1. Normal shooting, at 73 F(23 C)
2. No flash: approx. 1100 images
3. 50% flash use: approx. 800 images
at 32 F/0 C:
1. No flash: approx. 950 images
2. 50% flash use: approx. 700 images
(tests comply with CIPA industry test standards. The above figures apply when one fully-charged Battery Pack BP-511A is used)
- Battery Check: Automatic
- Power Saving: Provided. Power turns off after 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30 min.
- Back-up Battery: One CR2016 coin-type lithium battery. Battery life approx. 5 years
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 5.7 x 4.2 x 2.9 in./145.5 x 107.8 x 73.5mm
- Weight: 26.1 oz. (740g)
- Canon EOS 40D DSLR Camera Body
- Eyecup Eb
- Wide Neck Strap EW-100DGR
- Video Cable VC-100
- USB Interface Cable IFC-200U
- Battery Pack BP-511As
- Battery Charger CG-580
- Great Photography is Easy and Do More with Macro Booklets
- EOS Digital Solution Disc
- Software Instruction Manual