- 18MP CMOS APS-C sensor
- Compact full featured DSLR is ready to go whenever you are
- 5FPS continuous shooting
- ISO 100-12800 for capturing life's moments
- 3"vari-angle touchscreen LCD monitor with 1,040,00 dots
- Shoots Full HD movies with full servo AF
The Canon EOS Rebel T5i DSLR is always an excellent choice for those new to the world of DSLR photography or for those more experienced who want a smaller camera with all the expected features. Inside of this camera is an 18 megapixel CMOS sensor with a DIGIC 5 Images Processor that provides you with exceptional quality for every shot that you take. The fast image processor, combined with the enhanced shutter mechanism and mirror drive, also allow the Rebel T5i to stay speedy and produce a continuous shooting speed of up to 5 fps. The sensor gives you the ability to record full HD 1080p video that uses a hybrid CMOS autofocus system that continuously responds to the movement of your subjects and keeps them sharp. Additionally, with an ISO range of 100 to 12800 and beyond, you can be sure that this camera will capture everything no matter the lighting conditions. With an excellent set of features, including a large 3” touch sensitive LCD screen that makes using your camera much more enjoyable, you can be sure that you will be taking pictures like never before.
Included LensIncluded with the EOS Rebel T5i is an EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens that is extremely versatile and can accommodate many different situations. At its widest angle you can practice some landscape and scenic photography, while the 135mm focal length can work as a medium telephoto lens to get you closer to the action. To further increase the performance of this lens, Canon’s Optical Image Stabilization technology has been added. This technology will work to reduce image blur caused by camera shake and slow shutter speeds, making this lens perform better in low light situations than many other similar lenses.
18 Megapixel SensorYou will finally be able to blow up your photographs and hang them in your living room without worrying about low reproduction quality due to poor resolution. With an 18 megapixel APS-C (22.3 x14.9 mm) CMOS sensor, images taken with the Rebel T5i are crisp, with vivid color reproduction. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor keeps things quick enough that you can take advantage of 5.0 fps when taking actions shots without compromising on quality. You are also able to record full HD 1080p video with continuous autofocus to keep you videos crystal clear.
Excellent Low Light PerformanceYou don’t have to stop taking pictures when sun goes down. The ISO range of 100 to 12800, which is expandable up to 25600, makes this camera uniquely qualified to shoot in low light conditions. Additionally, the DIGIC 5 Image Processor produces stunning noise-reduction results so that the grain that often plagues pictures taken at higher ISOs is much less visible.
Touch Sensitive LCD MonitorOn the back of the camera is a 3” Vari-Angle LCD touchscreen. Not only can you use it to navigate the camera’s menus using intuitive touch gestures and review your images, you can also use this it as a live screen. Live screen turns it into a live viewfinder that supports touch AF so you can tap the screen to quickly change the camera’s focus without even having to use the traditional viewfinder. The screen also swivels out and can be tilted up or down for accommodate for more creative high and low shots.
Compact SizeThe Rebel T5i is a very compact camera that still packs in a lot of features that any photographer would expect. Weighing in well under a pound with the kit lens, you will barely know it’s around your neck and its small profile makes it an excellent choice when trying to be discrete at an event or while travelling.
Digital AF/AE single-lens reflex camera with built-in flash
SD card, SDHC card, SDXC memory card
* Compatible with Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) memory cards and Eye-Fi cards.
Approx. 22.3mm x 14.9mm (APS-C)
Canon EF lenses (including EF-S lenses)
Canon EF mount
Effective pixels: Approx. 18.0 megapixels
4.3 µm square
Total pixels: Approx. 18.50 megapixels
3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking approx. 2 sec.) when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking approx. 5 sec.).
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
Complies with Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and Exif 2.30
(1) Large: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
(2) Medium: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3,456 x 2,304)
(3) Small 1: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2,592 x 1,728)
(4) Small 2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5) Small 3: Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
(6) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
The following three types of file numbering method can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card.
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
sRGB, Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
* In Basic Zone modes, "Auto" is set automatically.
* In Creative Zone modes, you can select or set the Picture Style.
* Default settings for [User Defined 1-3] are [Auto].
Auto, Preset (Daylight; Shade; Cloudy, Twilight, Sunset; Tungsten light; White Fluorescent Light; Flash), Custom (Approx. 2,000° - 10,000°K), White Balance Correction, and White Balance Bracketing
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
White balance correction:
- Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
- Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Correction based on the current WB mode's color temperature.
Color Temperature Information Transmission
Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentamirror)
Approx. 95% vertically and horizontally (with Eye point approx. 19mm)
Approx. 0.85x / 23.8° (50mm lens 8, -1 m-1)
Approx. 19 mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
Dioptric Adjustment Correction
-3.0 to +1.0 m-1 (dpt)
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflection ratio of 40:60)
1) AF information (AF points and focus confirmation light)
2) Exposure information (Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, spot metering circle, exposure warning)
3) Flash information (Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light)
4) Image information (Highlight tone priority (D+), monochrome shooting, maximum burst (1-digit display), white balance correction, SD card information)
Depth Of Field Preview
Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
TTL secondary image-forming, phase-difference detection
9 points (All AF points are cross-type at f/5.6., Center AF point is diagonal cross-type at f/2.8.)
AF Working Range
EV -0.5 - 18 (at room temperature and ISO 100, based on Canon's testing standards)
- One-Shot AF
- Predictive AI Servo AF
- AI Focus AF (*Switches between One-Shot AF and AI Servo AF)
(2) Manual focus (MF)
AF Point Selection
(1) Manual selection
(2) Auto selection
* Automatically set in Basic Zone modes.
Selected AF Point Display
Indicated by superimposed display in the viewfinder and on the LCD monitor.
AF Assist Beam
(1) Intermittent firing of built-in flash
(2) Effective range: Approx. 13.2 ft. / 4m at center, approx. 11.5 ft. / 3.5m at periphery
* With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, the Speedlite's AF-assist beam is emitted instead.
* Compatible with assist-beam (intermittent firing) of 270EX II, 320EX, and 270EX flashes.
TTL maximum aperture metering with 63-zone metering sensor:
1) Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
2) Partial metering (center, approx. 9% of viewfinder)
3) Spot metering (center, approx. 4% of viewfinder)
4) Center-weighted average metering
EV 1.0 - EV 20.0 (at 73°F/23°C with 50mm f/1.8 II lens at ISO 100)
Exposure Control Systems
(1) Program AE (shiftable)
(2) Shutter-priority AE
(3) Aperture-priority AE
(4) Manual exposure (including bulb)
(1) Scene Intelligent Auto (Program AE / non-shiftable)
(2) Flash Off
(3) Creative Auto
* When background blurring is set, shooting with flash is disabled. When the flash is raised, background blurring cannot be set.
(8) Special Scene
- Night Portrait
- Handheld Night Scene
HDR Backlight Control mode
ISO Speed Range
1. Manual setting range of ISO 100-12800, expansion to ISO 25600
2. Auto, ISO 100-6400 (in whole-stop increments)
|Shooting Mode||ISO Settings|
|Auto, Flash OFF, Creative Auto, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, HDR Backlight Control mode||ISO 100–6400|
|Night Landscape||ISO 100–12800|
|P, TV, Av, M*2||ISO 100–6400*3|
|With flash||ISO 400*4,5|
*1: If fill-flash is used, ISO 100–6400 will automatically be set.
*2: Fixed at ISO 400 for Bulb exposures. *3: Depends on the maximum ISO speed that has been set. *4: If shooting in bright light results in overexposure, the ISO speed can be set as low as ISO 100.
*5: If you use bounce flash with an external Speedlite in the Creative Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports or P modes, the ISO speed is set automatically within ISO 400–1600 (or up to the maximum limit) to match the brightness.
Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments (AEB ±2 stops)
AEB : ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
* If the exposure compensation exceeds ±2 stops, the left or right icon appears in the viewfinder.
* Manual exposure compensation and AEB can be set in combination.
* AEB is set in the following sequence: Standard exposure, decreased exposure, and increased exposure.
* If AEB is used with the self-timer, the three bracketed shots will be taken in succession after the 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay.
(1) Auto AE lock
* In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
* In the P, Tv, Av, and M modes, enabled with the AE lock button. (Press again to update.)
* Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
* Electronic 1st curtain and mechanical 2nd curtain
1/4000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec. (Scene Intelligent Auto)
* With a wide-angle lens, the shutter may be 1/60 sec. or slower.
1/4000 to 30 sec., bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec.
* Settable in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
Shutter Lag Time
(1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.075 sec.
(2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.150 sec.
* Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3 stops or less. Excludes AF operation time.
E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering), FE Lock
Flash Exposure Compensation
±2 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments
External Flash Settings
(1) External flash function setting
* Flash firing, E-TTL II auto flash system, flash mode, wireless master, zoom, sync setting, flash exposure compensation, FEB, and clear setting.
* With the 600EX-RT, radio wireless transmission control is possible.
(2) External flash C.Fn setting
* The actual setting options for (1) and (2) will differ depending on the Speedlite used.
Single, Continuous, 10-sec. self-timer/Remote control, 2-sec. self-timer, Continuous shooting after 10-sec. self-timer (2 to 10 shots)
Continuous Shooting Speed
High-speed continuous shooting: Max. approx. 5.0 fps
* With One-Shot AF or AI Servo AF
Based on 8GB memory Card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 22 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
Based on 8GB UHS-I memory card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 30 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
* Figures are based on Canon?s testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style).
* At ISO 12800, maximum burst will greatly decrease due to internal processing.
Live View Functions
Still photo shooting and video shooting
(1) AF operation of the Hybrid CMOS AF, One-shot AF
i. Face Detection plus Tracking AF
ii. FlexiZone - Multi
* 31 zones
* AF at the touched zone
iii. FlexiZone - Single
(2) TTL secondary image-forming, phase-difference detection with AF operation, One-shot AF
i. Manual selection
ii. Auto selection
* Automatically set in Basic Zone modes
(3) Manual focus
* Manual focusing by enlarging images by approx. five to ten times
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor.
(1) Evaluative metering (315 zones)
(2) Partial metering (approx. 8.8% of Live View screen)
(3) Spot metering (approx. 2.8% of Live View screen)
(4) Center-weighted average metering
* AE lock possible. The active metering time can be changed.
EV 0 to EV 20 (At 23°C/73°F, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
Two grids provided:
(1) Grid 1: Pair of vertical and horizontal lines
(2) Grid 2: 5 vertical and 3 horizontal lines
Movie: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
* Variable (average) bit rate
Audio: Linear PCM
* Meta information is embedded in the MOV file (no separate THM file)
1920 x 1080 (30 fps*1/25 fps/24 fps*2): 330 MB/min.
1280 x 720 (60 fps*3/50fps): 330 MB/min.
640 x 480 (30 fps*1/25fps): 82.5 MB/min.
* If the file size exceeds 4GB, a new file will be automatically created.
* See following section for actual frame rates.
1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
640 x 480 (SD): 30p (29.97) / 25p
Continuous Shooting Time
Based on 8GB Memory Card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps/25 fps/24 fps: 22 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps/50 fps: 22 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps/25 fps: 1 hr. 32 min.
Based on 16GB Memory Card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps/25 fps/24 fps: 44 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps/50 fps: 44 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps/25 fps: 3 hr. 04 min.
* If recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec., movie shooting stops automatically.
* See Frame Rates section for actual frame rates.
(1) One-shot AF
(2) Servo AF
(3) Manual Focus
* Magnify the image by approx. 5x or appox. 10x and focus manually.
AF using AF point selection:
i. Face Detection plus Tracking AF
ii. FlexiZone - Multi
* 31 zones
* AF at the touched zone
iii. FlexiZone - Single
8 bit, 0 - 255
(1) Program AE for movie shooting
* In Basic Zone modes, P, Av, and Tv modes
* Shutter speed 1/30 - 1/4000 sec. (Signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Manual exposure
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
Provided (±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments)
* For video, exposure compensation will not be applied beyond ±3 stops even if the exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops.
* For still photo shooting, the exposure compensation can be set and applied up to ±5 stops.
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor with Touch Panel LCD (capacitive type)
Wide 3.0-inch (Screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
7.7cm diagonal (6.37cm wide, 4.25cm high)
Approx. 1,040,000 dots
Adjustable to one of seven levels
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
(1) Single image display
- Single image, basic information, detailed information, histogram display
(2) Index display
- 4/9/36/100 images
(3) Jump display (Image jump w/ Main Dial)
- 1/10/100 images, shooting date, by folder, movies only, stills only, by rating
On the detailed information and histogram displays, highlight areas with no image data will blink.
Brightness / RGB
Quick Control Function
When you press the Quick Control function button under the following conditions, you can set the functions below:
*The settable functions depend on the shooting mode
(1) With viewfinder shooting:
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, exposure compensation, AEB, flash exposure compensation, Picture Style, white balance, Auto Lighting Optimizer, built-in flash func. setting, AF mode, drive mode, metering mode, and image recording quality.
(2) With Live View shooting:
AF mode, drive mode, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer, image-recording quality, and built-in flash func. setting.
(3) With video shooting:
AF mode, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer, image recording quality (stills), video-recording size, and video snapshot.
Image Protection and Erase
Erase protection can be applied/canceled for a single image, all images in a folder, or all images on the card.
Erase single image, erase selected images, erase all images in folder, erase all images on a card, or erase only unprotected images.
RAW, JPEG, and RAW+JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
* Movies cannot be printed.
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
Complies to DPOF Version 1.1
Direct Image Transfer
Eight Custom Functions with 24 settings settable with the camera
My Menu Registration
Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
- For personal computer communication and PictBridge (Hi-Speed USB)
- Audio (stereo)/video (NTSC/PAL) output
- To connect a GP-E2 GPS Receiver
Video Out Terminal
Type C (Switches automatically to suit the resolution)
Video output: 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 480/60p, 576/50p
* Switches automatically to 1, 2, 3, or 4 to suit the TV
Extension System Terminal
One Battery Pack LP-E8
* With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E8, AC power is possible.
* With Battery Grip BG-E8, it is possible to use two Battery Pack LP-E8 units.
1) Camera body only
|Shooting Method||Temperature||Shooting Conditions|
|AE 100%||AE 50%, FA 50%|
|Viewfinder Shooting||At 73°F / 23°C||Approx. 550 shots||Approx. 440 shots|
|At 32°F / 0°C||Approx. 470 shots||Approx. 400 shots|
|Live View Shooting||At 73°F / 23°C||Approx. 200 shots||Approx. 180 shots|
|At 32°F / 0°C||Approx. 170 shots||Approx. 150 shots|
2) With Battery Grip BG-E8
|Shooting Method||Battery||Temperature||Shooting Conditions (Approx.)|
|AE 100%||AE 50%, FA 50%|
|Viewfinder Shooting||LP-E8 x 1||Same as (1)|
|LP-E8 x 2||At 73°F / 23°C||Approx. 1100 shots||Approx. 880 shots|
|At 32°F / 0°C||Approx. 940 shots||Approx. 800 shots|
|Size AA/LR6 Alkaline Batteries||At 73°F / 23°C||Approx. 470 shots||Approx. 270 shots|
|At 32°F / 0°C||Approx. 130 shots||Approx. 80 shots|
|Live View shooting||LP-E8 x 1||Same as (1)|
|LP-E8 x 2||At 73°F / 23°C||Approx. 400 shots||Approx. 360 shots|
|At 32°F / 0°C||Approx. 340 shots||Approx. 300 shots|
|Size AA/LR6 Alkaline Batteries||At 73°F / 23°C||Approx. 180 shots||Approx. 150 shots|
|At 32°F / 0°C||Approx. 30 shots||Approx. 30 shots|
Automatic battery level check when power is turned ON.
Battery level indicated in one of four levels on LCD monitor.
Power turns off after the set time of non-operation elapses
* [Auto power off] settable to 30 sec., 1 min., 2 min., 4 min., 8 min., 15 min. or disable
Built-in secondary battery
It is not replaceable by the user. It recharges when LP-E8 is loaded or when the AC adapter is connected. Without any recharging, the backup battery can maintain the date/time for approx. 3 months. The backup battery takes approx. 8 hours to be fully recharged.
Approx. 0.1 sec. (based on CIPA testing standards)
Dimensions and Weight
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 5.2 x 3.9 x 3.1 in.
Approx. 133.1 x 99.8 x 78.8mm
Approx. 20.5 oz. / 580g (CIPA standard)
Approx. 18.5 oz. / 525g (Body only)
Working Temperature Range
Working Humidity Range
85% or less
o EOS Rebel T5i Body
o Eyecup Ef (not shown)
o Battery Pack LP-E8
o Battery Charger LC-E8E
o Wide Neck Strap EW-100DB IV
o USB Interface Cable IFC-130U
o EOS Digital Solution Disc & Software Instruction Manual CD
o Camera Instruction Manual (not shown)