- Large 1.0 inch 20.8 MP backside illumination CMOS sensor
- Fast 24-85mm equiv. f/1.8-2.8 premium NIKKOR ED glass lens
- High-speed continuous shooting up to approx. 20 fps
- 4K Ultra HD video recording, time-lapse, slow motion and Supelapse movies
- SnapBridge integration for real-time wireless sharing of images
The pro-quality compact camera you can take everywhere.
Covering the sweet spot of the focal length, the DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8 embodies all that makes the DL series so exciting—professional optics, stunning image quality, liberating speed, high-end design, creative control and compact versatility. Its superior performance begins at the lens, a 24-85mm equiv. f/1.8 (max. aperture) Aspherical ED glass NIKKOR zoom lens with HRI elements, Fluorine coat, Dual Detect Optical VR, a built-in ND Filter and even life-size macro capabilities. Create portraits and candid shots with beautifully blurred backgrounds as easily as life-size close-ups. A large 1.0-inch 20.8 MP backside illumination CMOS image sensor is combined with EXPEED 6A image processing and one of the most impressive autofocus systems of any compact fixed lens camera system for up 20 fps continuous shooting with full AF performance, cinematic 4K Ultra HD videos, time-lapse, slow motion and Superlapse movies, noise-free images from ISO 160 to 12,800 and much more, all in a beautifully designed camera that performs like a DSLR. You can even share you images instantly with Nikon SnapBridge. Experience a new pinnacle of compact camera performance and design.
Professional, versatile optics
Fast 24-85mm f/1.8-2.8 NIKKOR lens
Like all DL series cameras, the DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8 is built around an exceptional NIKKOR zoom lens. Its versatile 24-85mm focal length range is ideal for everyday photography, portraits and travel, and its f/1.8 max aperture lets you add beautiful bokeh to your shots and use faster shutter speeds in low light. Aspherical, ED and HRI glass elements—the same technology used in professional DSLR lenses—deliver maximum clarity and minimum distortion, while Nikon's original Fluorine coat repels dust, water, oil and more. Dual Detect Optical VR image stabilization ensures sharp images and steady videos when shooting handheld. You can even capture small subjects at life-size with Super Macro Mode and a new Focus Bracketing feature that captures a sequence of shots each with different focus positions—very helpful when using shallow depth of field in macro shooting.
Breathtaking quality in difficult light
Large 1.0" backside illumination 20.8 MP CMOS sensor
At the heart of each DL series camera is a high performance backside illumination CX-format image sensor with an extra wide dynamic range. It's 4x larger than the sensor used in a typical compact camera. Combined with new ultra-fast EXPEED 6A image processing, it captures 20.8 MP images and 4K UHD videos with minimal noise, maximum definition and flawless color reproduction from ISO 160 to 12,800. A built-in ND filter lets you maintain that f/1.8 aperture and slow shutter speeds in bright sunlight. And without an optical low-pass filter, it can take full advantage of the lens' exceptional rendering performance for stunningly detailed images. Never compromise image quality again.
Advanced Hybrid AF for ultra-fast performance
The DL series responds to your creative intentions unlike any compact camera on the market. 171 focus points cover a wide area of the image frame at high density, while the Hybrid AF system instantly identifies subjects and selects the appropriate AF method: either 105-point phase detection AF, which excels at acquiring moving subjects, or 171-point contrast-detect AF, which allows extremely accurate focusing even in dark situations. Outpace the fastest DSLRs continuous shooting speeds up to approximately 20 fps with full AF performance and up to 60 fps with fixed focus. Capture with incredible speed and precision.
Dual Detect Optical VR for sharp images
To take full advantage of the DL series' remarkable speed, image quality and low light capabilities, it's essential to have an image stabilization system that can ensure sharp images and steady videos in handheld situations. The DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8's Dual Detect Optical VR (Vibration Reduction) surpasses the performance of even DSLR lenses, delivering a blur-reduction effect. This helps the DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8 capture precise details in difficult lighting conditions, keep handheld videos steady and maintain the image quality professionals and passionate shooters demand.
Nimble, efficient handling
DSLR-inspired control and operation
Nikon has applied the know-how and technology of its legendary DSLR cameras to the DL series. The DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8's GUI and menus are very similar to Nikon DSLRs, as are the command dial with PSAM control, rotary multi-selector, power switch, customizable Fn (function) button and RAW (NEF) capabilities. Focal length can be set in steps or adjusted fluidly across the zoom range with the lens' precision zoom ring, while the control ring allows precise adjustments of aperture, shutter speed, manual focus or even white balance. Flip out the beautiful 1037k-dot tilting OLED touch-panel monitor and shoot from creative new angles. DSLR shooters can seamlessly move between the DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8 and a DSLR, while newcomers will discover the ease of using a camera with the intuitiveness and feel of a DSLR.
4K Ultra HD videos with stereo sound
Create movies that amaze in the high video quality of 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160/30p) that can be output uncompressed via HDMI. Shutter speeds up to 1/(frame rate) second are available, and rolling shutter distortion has been effectively eliminated. Auto ISO adjusts exposure according to the lighting conditions, delivering natural-looking images with rich gradation, even in scenes where lightness varies dramatically. Bend time with Superlapse, which lets you relive an experience at double speed, time-lapse, which condenses dramatic transitions into just 10 seconds, or slow-motion, which reproduces key moments with added impact. Even capture stills while recording.
Image-creation tools for greater expression
Built into the DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8 are image-creation tools to inspire even the most passionate and experienced shooters. Creative Mode makes it easy to bring a variety of moods to your stills and movies with five categories of customizable effects (20 total sub-sets) each with their own distinctive exposure, contrast and color balance. Six Picture Control options create atmosphere and impact that can't be produced through camera settings alone, and help you achieve a signature look in your images. Create light trail images or time-lapse movies with ease using new Multiple Exposure Lighten. The DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8 even includes a built-in Speedlight flash to help you take control of the light around you.
Your images. The world. Connected.
New SnapBridge Bluetooth® low energy connectivity
SnapBridge eliminates the barrier between your camera and a compatible smart device, through a combination of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology and a dedicated app.* In addition to automatic picture transfer from camera to smart device thanks to the constant connection between the two devices, it also offers free, unlimited upload of thumbnails on the NIKON IMAGE SPACE cloud service.** It’s possible to embed location, date/time, and two pieces of information (i.e. copyright, comments, text and stamps). Plus, support for Wi-Fi® and NFC further expands wireless connectivity. Shoot yourself from a distance or get into group shots with camera remote control, then wirelessly share your images right away.
Compatible with many accessories
The DL series is designed to work in harmony with Nikon's total imaging system. A dedicated 24-pin hot shoe terminal works with Nikon Speedlights including the SB-5000, SB-700, SB-500, SB-300, and more. Add the optional Electronic Viewfinder and enjoy a glare-free high resolution view on an OLED panel with superb response speed and color rendering. You can also add a bayonet hood or 40.5mm screw-on lens filters and cases.
± WI-FI COMPATIBILITY
This camera’s built-in Wi-Fi® capability can only be used with a compatible iPhone®, iPad®, and/or iPod touch® or smart devices running on the Android™ operating system. The Nikon SnapBridge application must be installed on the device before it can be used with this camera.
- Type: Compact Digital Camera
- Effective Pixels (Megapixels): 20.8 million
- Image Sensor: CMOS sensor (Nikon CX format)
- Sensor Size: 1.0-in type, 13.2 mmx 8.8 mm
- Total Pixels: 23.27 million (approx.)
- Image Size (pixels): 5,584 x 3,712
- Lens: 3.6x optical Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens
- Lens Focal Length: 8.8-31.3 mm (angle of view is equivalent to that of a lens with 24-85 mm focal length)
- Lens f/-number: f/1.8-2.8
- Lens Construction: 11 elements in 9 groups
One HRI [High Refractive Index] lens element, one ED lens element, four aspherical lens elements, fluorine coat
- Lens Zoom: 3.6 x
- Digital Zoom: Up to 4x (angle of view equivalent to that of approx. 340 mm lens in 35mm  format)
- Vibration Reduction: Dual Detect Optical VR with an effect of 4.0 or more stops
VR mode: NORMAL/ACTIVE
Electronic VR (for movies)Based on CIPA Standards, measured at the maximum telephoto position
- Aperture: Electromagnetic 7-blade iris diaphragm (built-in ND filter: -3 stops)
- Autofocus (AF): Hybrid autofocus (phase-detection/contrast-detected AF)
- Autofocus (AF) Focus-area selection: Auto-area (auto selection from 41 focus areas), Face-priority, Single-point, Subject tracking
- Focus Range: [W]: Approx. 1 ft. (30 cm.) to infinity
[T]: Approx. 2 ft. (60 cm.) to infinity
Macro Mode: Approx. 1.18 in. (3 cm.) to infinity (wide-angle position), or 1 ft. (30 cm) to infinity (telephoto position)
Super Macro Mode: Approx. 1.18 in. 3 cm. to 2.3 in. (6 cm.)
- Focus Lock: Yes
- Maximum Autofocus Areas/Points: 171 AF points - Hybrid AF
- Viewfinder: DF-F1 EVF with 2,359,000-dot, tilting, diopter adjustment and Eye sensor (optional)
- Monitor Size: 3.0 in. diagonal
- Monitor Type: OLED
Tilting (up to approx. 180°, down to approx. 80°) touch screen
- Monitor Resolution: 1,037,000 -dots
- Monitor Frame Coverage (shooting mode): 97% horizontal (Approx.)
97% vertical (Approx.)
(compared to actual picture)
- Monitor Frame Coverage (playback mode): 100% horizontal (Approx.)
100% vertical (Approx.)
(compared to actual picture)
- Touch Control: Yes
- Movie: 4K UHD 3,840x2,160/ 30p
4K UHD 3,840x2,160/ 25p
Full HD: 1,920x1,080/ 60p
Full HD: 1,920x1,080/ 50p
Full HD: 1,920x1,080/ 30p
Full HD: 1,920x1,080/ 25p
HD: 1,280x720/ 60p
HD: 1,280x720/ 50p
HD: 1,280x720/ 30p
HD: 1,280x720/ 25p
Slow motion: 1,920x1,080/ 120p
Slow motion: 1,280x720/ 240p
Slow motion: 800x296/ 400p
Slow motion: 400x144/ 1,200p
Scene Mode movie, Creative Mode movie, 4-second movie, Jump cut, Superlapse movie, Time-lapse movie, Motion Snapshot
- ISO Sensitivity Low: ISO 160 - 6,400
ISO 6,400 (NR), 12,800, 12,800 (NR) (Available when using P, S, A, M mode)
- Lowest ISO Sensitivity: 160
- Highest ISO Sensitivity: 12,800
- Exposure Metering: Matrix, Center-weighted, Spot
- Exposure Control: Programmed auto exposure with flexible program, Shutter-priority auto, Aperture-priority auto, Manual, Exposure bracketing
- Exposure Modes: Aperture Priority, Auto Mode, Creative Mode, Manual, Movie, Program, Scene Mode, Shutter Priority, User Settings
- Scene Modes: Bird Watching, Close-up, Food, HDR, Landscape, Multiple Exposure Lighten, Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Portrait, Selective Color, Sports
- In-Camera Image Editing: Copy, D-Lighting, Filter Effects, Perspective Control, Quick Effects, Quick Retouch, Resize, Rotate Image, Skin Softening, Small Picture
- Exposure Compensation: -3.0 - +3.0 EV in steps of 1/3 EV (Still images)
+3.0 - +5.0 EV/-5.0 - -3.0 EV in steps of 1 EV (Still images)
- 3.0 - +3.0 EV in steps of 1/3 EV (Movies)
- White Balance: Auto 1, Auto 2, Choose Color Temp, Cloudy, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (x3), Incandescent, Preset Manual
- Shutter: Mechanical and CMOS electronic shutter
- Shutter Speed: 1/16000-30 sec.
- Mechanical shutter: 1/1600-30 sec.
- Electronic shutter: 1/16000-30 sec.
- Timeshooting: Maximum 120 sec. (when M mode is set.)
- Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution: approx. 60 frames per second
- Continuous Shooting Options: Continuous, 10 fps, 20 fps with AE/AF/AWB Continuous, 30 fps, 60 fps with AE/AF/AWB locked on first frame
Continuous, 30 fps, 60 fps with AE/AF/AWB locked on first frame
- Self-timer: Can be selected from 10 or 2 seconds duration
- Accessory Shoe: ISO 518 hot-shoe with sync and data contacts, safety lock, and terminal for electronic viewfinder (available separately)
- Guide Number: Manual pop-up (with pop-up detection switch)
- Guide number: approx. 6.3/20.7 (m/ft, ISO 160), approx. 5/16.4 (m/ft, ISO 100)
- Built-in Flash Control: Yes
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- External Flash Shoe: ISO 518 hot-shoe with sync and data contacts, safety lock, and terminal for electronic viewfinder (available separately)
- Interface: Hi-Speed USB
- Interface Data Transfer Protocol: MTP, PTP
- HDMI Output: HDMI micro connector (Type D)
- I/O Terminal: Micro-USB connector (Hi-Speed USB)
- Wi-Fi Functionality: Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC
- Supported Languages: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (European and Brazilian), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Power Sources: EN-EL24 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (supplied)
- Charging Time: Approx. 3 hours when using EH-73P Charging AC Adapter and when no charge remains
- Battery / Batteries: EN-EL24 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- Battery Life (shots per charge): 290 shots (CIPA)
- Movies: Approx. 55 minutes
- Tripod Socket: 1/4 (ISO 1222)
- Approx. Dimensions: 4.2 in.(104.9 mm)x 2.5 in.(61.3 mm)x 2.0 in.(49.8 mm)excluding projections
- Approx. Weight: 12.3 oz.(350 g)with battery and SD memory card
- Operating Environment: Temperature: 0 to 40°C (32 to 104°F)
- Humidity: Less than 85% (no condensation)
- COOLPIX B500 Black Four LR6/L40 AA Alkaline BatteriesUC-E16 USB CableAN-CP21 StrapLC-CP31 Lens Cap