- 16MP Live MOS Image Sensor
- TruePic VI Image Processor
- In-Body Image Stabilization
- FAST AF with Face and Eye Detect
- Twelve in-camera Art Filters
- Proven Dust Reduction System
Olympus E-PM2 PEN Camera (Body Only) Features:
Creative power in a small package.
The Olympus PEN E-PM2 is all the proof you need that small and stylish can deliver impressive images. This compact technological wonder features an expansive 16 MP Live MOS sensor and TruePic VI Image Processor for powerfully vivid images that rival the quality of an SLR. Let the camera achieve photographic perfection with features like iAuto and 23 Scene Select Modes. Or take control using Direct Live Guide. Explore your creative side with 12 ready-to-use Art Filters. The PEN E-PM2 features technology to help you shoot brilliantly when light is hard to find. There's blazing speed with an incredibly responsive touch shutter and 8 fps sequential shooting. The PEN E-PM2. The camera you want when you're ready to leave compacts behind and capture your stories in spectacular fashion.
16MP Live MOS Image Sensor
Featuring the 16 megapixel Live MOS sensor of the OM-D E-M5, the Olympus Micro Four Thirds flagship, the PEN E-PM2PM2, is optimized to maximize the performance of all mZuiko digital lenses in any shooting condition. Improvements to the sensitivity and read-out speed of the existing sensor makes shooting and Full HD movie recording possible.
TruePic VI Image Processor
TruePic VI Image Processor, designed specifically for the Olympus PEN, features Real Color Technology for improved color reproduction (especially colors such as emerald green, yellow, and gold) and color gradation. The faster processor also allows for a shorter recovery time between shots.
Proven Dust Reduction System
Olympus' Dust Reduction System assures spot-free images, even if you change lenses. Every time you turn on the camera, the patented Supersonic Wave Filter silently vibrates, flinging and collecting dust so that it doesn't interfere with the picture imaging at any time.
In-Body Image Stabilization
Say goodbye to blurry images. Olympus' in-body image stabilization technology makes it possible to use any Micro Four Thirds lenses (or Four Thirds lens), from wide-angle to telephoto, for perfectly clear, crisp photos no matter what the shooting situation, even in low light!
NEW Built-In Grip
For form, fit and feel. The E-PM2's built-in grip allows for secure and comfortable handling of the E-S3.
New Immediate Response Touch Navigation On 3 Inch Lcd
The E-PM2 features a vertical bar touch navigation menu. The E-PM2 is designed to optimize the touch screen LCD and was introduced to operate the MENU display with a new simple operation instead of a mode dial. The E-PM2's Touchscreen reacts quickly with the slightest touch and can focus by touch even if the subject is not in the center.
Live Guide And New Direct Live Guide Button
The E-PM2's Live Guide system allows you to preview effects as you adjust them before the image is even captured. With a simple touch, slide through numerous photographic effects, such as brightness, color saturation, blur background, etc. And now, it's even easier to get to the Live Guide menu at the touch of a button on the top of the camera.
A convenient, fully automated feature that detects the scene and applies the best of six situations just by aiming the camera toward the subject. Backlight adjustments are automatically applied for Portrait and Landscape modes.
Immediate Response One-Touch Shutter And Control
The E-PM2's Touchscreen reacts quickly with the slightest touch and can focus by touch even if the subject is not in the center. Touch Screen display makes it easy to choose AF points, capture a picture, change camera settings, release the shutter or navigate controls, simply by touching the screen.
8FPS Sequential Shooting
With the E-PM2 you can take up to eight photos a second, allowing you to easily capture that perfect shot, especially when your subject is moving.
FAST AF with Face and Eye Detect
The FAST (Frequency Acceleration Sensor Technology) AF System is able to focus at an incredible speed and offers 35 separate focus points that are spread over nearly the entire sensor, which makes it possible for pin-point accurate focusing on small subjects wherever they appear in the frame. Selectable 3x3 groups within the 35-point area are especially effective when shooting active subjects.
12 Art Filters And 7 Art Filter Effects
Twelve in-camera Art Filters are enhanced by new filter variations, art effects and bracketing. Photographers can use Art Filters in all shooting modes as well as filming HD movies. The Twelve in-camera Art Filters (Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale and Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Gentle Sepia, Cross Process, Key Line, Dramatic Tone and NEW Watercolor) are enhanced by new filter variations, art effects and bracketing. Also, the E-PM2 now features the Monochrome Art Filter Effect, where the Picture Tone effect can change the color from normal monotone to sepia, blue, purple, and green.
Full 1080I HD Movie With Art Filter Movie
Shoot up to 29 minutes of 1080 60i HD video and stereo sound in either .MOV or .AVI formats. A Direct HD Movie Button switches you from still to movie mode with just the press of a button. Shoot movies with Art Filters, and new to the E-PM2, change your Art Filter while shooting your movie and see the transition right on the LCD, without missing a beat.
The addition of this super luminosity LED beam allows the camera to focus faster in low light up to almost 10 feet
Stunning low light photos are a click away with an increased ISO sensitivity to 25,600.
Attachable flash included. This camera provides the flexibility to attach a flash to your camera via the accessory port, or leave it at home for maximum portability.
Olympus E-PM2 PEN Camera (Body Only) Specifications:
- Product type: Micro Four Thirds interchangeable lens system camera
Memory Card *1
(SDHC, SDXC, UHS-I compatible, Flash Air compatible, Eye-Fi Card compatible *2)
*1: Class 6 or higher is recommended for Movie shooting.
*2: Not compatible with Endless Memory.
- Screen size: 17.3 mm (H) x 13.0 mm (V)
- Lens mount: Micro Four Thirds Mount
- Product type: 4/3 Live MOS Sensor
Number of pixels / Aspect ratio:
Number of effective pixels : Approx. 16.1 million pixels.
Total number of pixels : Approx. 17.2 million pixels.
Aspect ratio : 1.33 (4:3)
- Dust reduction: Supersonic Wave Filter (dust reduction system for image sensor)
- Recording format: DCF, DPOF compatible / Exif, PRINT Image Matching III, MPO compatible
- File format: RAW (12-bit lossless compression), JPEG, RAW+JPEG, MPO(3D still)
Recording image size:
[RAW] 4608 x 3456 pixels
[JPEG] 4608 x 3456 pixels - 640 x 480 pixels
RAW: 4608(H)x3456(V) (approx. 1/1.5 lossless compressed) Approx. 17MB
Set1(LF): 4608(H)x3456(V) (1/4 compressed) Approx. 7.5MB
Set2(LN): 4608(H)x3456(V) (1/8 compressed) Approx. 3.5MB
Set3(MN): 2560(H)x1920(V) (1/8 compressed) Approx. 1.1MB
Set4(SN): 1024(H)x768(V) (1/8 compressed) Approx. 0.3MB
Image Stabilization System
Built-in (Imager shift image stabilizer *3)
- Mode: 3 modes (S-I.S.1, S-I.S.2, S-I.S.3), OFF
- Focal length setting: Available
Available manual focal length setting:
Input focal length : 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 18, 24, 28, 30, 35, 40, 48, 50, 55, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 100, 105, 120, 135, 150, 180, 200, 210, 250, 300, 350, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000
maximum 3 EV steps *4
*4: Based on Olympus in-house measurement conditions.
- Shutter speed range: 2 - 1/4000 sec. (Not available when Bulb is selected.)
Approx. 100% field of view, Exposure compensation preview, WB adjustment preview, Gradation auto preview, Face detection preview (up to 8 faces), Grid line, Histogram, Magnification display (x5/x7/x10/x14), Highlight and shadow, Off
Display of Face Detection: Max 8 frames of face detection can be displayed.
3.0-inch wide monitor *8
*8: Approx. 460k dots(16:9), Touch control in electrostatic capacitance Type
Touch shutter release, Touch enlargement, Touch Live Guide, AF area selection, AF area enlargement, Frame forward/backward, Enlargement playback, Touch Super Control Panel, Touch Art Filter selection, Touch scene mode selection, Touch stripe screen (picture mode control)
- Tilting angle: -
- Brightness / Color temperature control: ±7 levels / ±7 levels
- Color tone select: Vivid / Natural
- AF system: High-speed imager AF
Single AF (S-AF) / Continuous AF (C-AF) *9 / Manual Focus (MF) / S-AF + MF / AF tracking (C-AF + TR) *9
*9: C-AF and AF tracking are not available with non-mFTs lenses. It works as S-AF in C-AF mode.
- Full-time AF: Available
Magnified frame AF:
Selectable from over 800 AF pointsEnlarged view check by magnify button (available with old lenses *10)
Magnification x5, x7, x10(Default), x14 selectable
*10: old lenses without data communication
Face detection AF / Eye detection AF:
Available / Available Eye Detection AF mode : Off / Nearer-eye priority / Right-eye priority / Left-eye priority
Focusing point / Focusing point selection mode:
35-area multiple AF
All target, Group target area (9-area), Single target,(normal) Single target(small)
- AF Illuminator: Available
Manual focus assist * Customize function:
Live view image is magnified when the focus ring is rotated. (at S-AF+MF or MF mode)
Exposure Control (Still)
Metering system (TTL Image sensor metering):
Digital ESP metering (324-area multi pattern metering), Center weighted average metering, Spot metering, Spot metering with highlight, Spot metering with shadow
- Metering range: EV 0 - 20 (at normal temperature, 17mm f2.8, ISO 100)
iAuto, P: Program AE (Program shift can be performed)A: Aperture priority AE
S: Shutter priority AE
M: Manual, Bulb, Time, Scene select AE, Art Filter
Underwater wide / macro *11
*11: Selectable from menu as a function on Fn-1/Rec button
Scene select AE:
Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Landscape + Portrait, Sport, Night, Night + Portrait, Children, High Key, Low Key, DIS mode, Macro, Nature Macro, Candle, Sunset, Documents, Panorama, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Fisheye Conv., Wide Conv., Macro Conv., 3D *
*Using 3D lens(H-FT012) , still only
AUTO: ISO 200 - 25600 (customizable, Default 200-1600)
Manual: ISO 200 - 25600, 1/3 or 1 EV steps selectable
- Exposure compensation: ±3 EV in 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV steps selectable
- AE lock: Locked at 1st release of shutter button (can be set to Fn1/Rec button)
- Shutter type: Computerized focal-plane shutter
1/4000 - 60 sec. (1/3, 1/2, or 1EV steps selectable)
Bulb/Time: default setting 8min. (1/2/4/8/15/20/25/30 min. selectable)
Flash intensity control method:
TTL Auto, Auto *13, Manual, super FP *13(FP-TTL AUTO, FP-MANUAL)
*13: Available on the external flash
Bundled flash *14:
TTL flash, GN=7(ISO100m) / GN=10 (ISO200m)
*14: Bundled FL-LM1. Attach it on the hot shoe and connect it to the accessory port 2.
Available on FL-LM1/2.
Flash Auto, Redeye, Fill-in, Flash Off, Red-eye Slow sync.(1st curtain), Slow sync.(1st curtain), Slow sync.(2nd curtain), Manual (1/1 (FULL) ~1/64)
Synchronization speed: 1/250sec. or less *15
*15: It depends on flash models or flash mode
FL-LM1/2: 1/250 sec., FL-50R: 1/180 sec., Other: 1/200 sec., Super FP: 1/125-1/4000 sec.
- Flash intensity control: Up to ±3 EV in 0.3, 0.5, 1 EV steps selectable
- Compatible external flash: FL-50R, FL-36R, FL-20, FL-14, FL-300R, FL-600R
Wireless Flash Control
- Compatible external flash: FL-50R, FL-36R, FL-300R, FL600R
Triggered and controlled by bundled flash FL-LM1 *16
*16: Available on FL-LM2/ FL-600R.
(Olympus Wireless RC Flash system compatible)
- External Flash intensity type: TTL Auto, Auto, Manual, FP-TTL-AUTO, FP-MANUAL
- Channel: 4 channels
4 groups (External flash 3 groups + a bundled flash *17)
*17: Available on FL-LM1/2 / FL-600R
- Drive mode: Single-frame shooting, Sequential shooting, Self-timer
Sequential shooting maximum speed:
[Sequential shooting H mode] *18 8.0 fps * in case of I.S. Off
*18: Focus and exposure are fixed at the values for the first shot.
[Sequential shooting L mode] *19
3.6 fps* in case of I.S. Off (in 3.5 seq. shooting L)
3.0 fps* in case of I.S. On (in 3 seq. shooting L)
*19: When using the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm II R f3.5-5.6
Max. recordable pictureson sequential shooting *:
[RAW] Max. 27frames (in 3 seq. shooting L), Max.15 frames (in 8 seq. shooting H)
[JPEG] Unlimited consecutive shooting (in 3 seq. shooting L), Max. 19 frames ( in 8 seq. shooting H)
* When using the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm II R f3.5-5.6.
* With TOSHIBA SDHC UHS-I card R95-W80 8GB model, based on Olympus in-house measurement conditions.
Operation time: 12 sec., 2 sec., custom (Waiting time 1-30sec.,Shooting interval 0.5/1/2/3sec.,Number of shots 1-10)
- Exposure bracketing: 2, 3 or 5 frames in 0.3/0.7/1.0EV steps selectable, 7 frames in 0.3/0.7EV steps selectable
- ISO bracketing: 3 frames in 0.3/0.7/1.0EV steps selectable
- White balance bracketing: 3 frames in 2, 4, 6 steps selectable in each A-B/G-M axis.
- Flash bracketing: 3 frames in 0.3/0.7/1.0EV step selectable
- Art Filter bracketing: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monotone, Custom, Art Filters selectable
bracketing for HDR post process:
3 or 5 frames in 2.0/3.0EV steps selectable, 7 frames in 2.0EV steps selectable.
*HDR picture can not be made by this function.
Mode (Variation / Effect):
Pop Art (I, II / a.b.c.d.e.)
Soft Focus ( - / c.e.)
Pale & Light Color (I, II / a.b.c.d.)
Light Tone ( - / d.)
Grainy Film (I, II / b.c.d.f.g)
Pin Hole (I, II, III / d.)
Diorama ( - / d.)
Cross Process (I, II / b.c.d.)
Gentle Sepia ( - / a.b.c.d.)
Dramatic Tone (I / b.c.d.e) (II / b.c.d.e.f.g)
Key Line (I, II / a.b.c.d.e.)
Watercolor (I, II / a.c.d.)
a. Soft Focus Effect
b. Pin-Hole Effect
c. White Edge Effect
d. Frame Effect
e. Star Light Effect
f. B&W Effect (Yellow, Orange, Red, Green)
g. Pict. Tone (Sepia, Blue, Purple, Green)
- Recording format: MOV (MPEG-4AVC/H.264) , AVI (Motion JPEG)
Full HD: 1920(H)x1080(V), 30p (29.97fps) Recording
20Mbps (Fine) / 17Mbps (Normal) : Aspect 16:9
HD: 1280(H)x720(V), 30p (29.97fps) Recording
13Mbps (Fine) / 10Mbps (Normal) : Aspect 16:9
[AVI Motion JPEG]
HD: 1280(H)x720(V), 30fps *20, Aspect 16:9
SD: 640(H)x480(V), 30fps *20, Aspect 4:3
*20 : Except for some of the Art Filters
Maximum Recording Time:
Full HD : Approx. 29min(Normal) / Approx. 22min(Fine)
HD : Approx. 29min(Normal) / Approx. 29min(Fine)
HD : Approx. 7min *21 / SD : Approx. 14min *21
*21 : Except for some of the Art Filters
Movie Effect : One shot echo / Multi echo / Art fade
Art Filter Movie, Aperture priority Movie, Shutter Priority Movie, Manual Shooting Movie
IS for Movie:Built in (Electronic image stabilizer)
2mode (M-IS1,M-IS2), off, Panasonic OIS lens priority
- AE Lock: Available
Exposure control (Movie):
P: Program AE
A: Aperture priority AE
S: Shutter speed priority AE
* S mode and M mode : Shutter speed is limited in less than 1/30 sec.
- Compression ratio: Motion-JPEG Format : 1/12(HD), 1/8(SD)
MOV Format : Max 4GB
Motion-JPEG Format : Max 2GB
- Recording format: Wave Format (Stereo linear PCM/16-bit, Sampling frequency 48kHz)
- Microphone/Speaker: Stereo/Mono
Wind Noise Reduction, Recording Volume
Audio dubbing possible for still pictures (up to 30 sec.)
- White balance mode: Auto WB, 7 Preset WBs, 2 Capture WBs, Custom WB(Kelvin setting)
- White balance compensation: ±7 steps in each A-B/G-M axis * Except for Custom WB
Preset white balance:
7 preset WBs (3000K - 7500K)
- Sunny(5300K), Shadow(7500K), Cloudy(6000K), Incandescent(3000K), Fluorescent(4000K), Underwater, WB Flash(5500K)
- Color matrix: sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Mode: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monotone, Custom, Art Filters
- Gradation: Auto, Normal, High Key, Low Key [except Art Filters]
- Number of picture / Function: 3 frames / Auto gain, Exposing on Recorded picture (RAW)
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3(Default) / 3:2 / 16:9 / 1:1 / 3:4
One Push Tele-converter
- Magnification: x2
Single-frame, Information display, Index display (4/9/25/100 frames), Calendar, Enlargement (2x - 14x), Movie (with sound, FF/REW/Pause), Picture rotation (auto), Slideshow *(with BGM/BGM+Sound/Sound)
* Slideshow : Still/Movie/Still+Movie, When a camera is connected to HDTV with HDMI cable, 3 new slideshow effect can be selectable.(Still)
1 BGM replaceable. Auto angle correction
Histogram (independent luminance / RGB available), Highlight/Shadow point warning, AF frame, Photographic information, OFF
34 languages selectable:
English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Czech, Dutch, Danish, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Croat, Slovenian, Hungarian, Greek, Slovakian, Turkish, Latvian, Estonian, Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Rumanian, Indonesian, Malay, Thai
Reset & custom setting
- My Set: 4 settings recordable
RAW development, Gradation auto, Monochrome, Sepia, Red-eye fix, Saturation, Resize (1280x960, 640x480, 320x240), Trimming, Aspect, e-Portrait, Image Overlay, Post recording
RAW picture editing:
RAW development based on settings of the camera(including Art Filter)
Detail edit acceptable.(Preview, Memory of 2 setting, re-development)
- Print function: Print reservation (DPOF), Direct print (PictBridge compatible)
USB/AV/Remote controller connector:
[USB: USB2.0 Hi-Speed, Video: NTSC/PAL selectable]
(Optional Remote cable RM-UC1 can be used.)
- HDMI connector: Micro HDMI (Type-D)
- Flash attachment: Hot shoe
- Accessory Port 2: Dedicated multi-connector [Available for VF-2/VF-3, SEMA-1, MAL-1 and PP-1.]
- PC interface: USB2.0 Hi-Speed
- TV interface: HDMI (HD/Stereo Sound), VIDEO-OUT(SD/Mono Sound)
- Battery: BLS-5 Li-ion battery (included)
- Sleep mode: Available (1/3/5 min. off selectable)
Number of recordable pictures:
Approx. 360 shots [IS ON, CIPA test standard]
(with BLS-5 and TOSHIBA super high-speed Class 6 SDHC 4GB card)
Dimensions / Weight
109.8 mm (W) x 64.2mm (H) x 33.8mm (D)
[CIPA guideline compliant, excluding protrusions]
Approx. 269g [CIPA guideline compliant, with BLS-5 battery and Memory card]
Approx. 223g [body only]
- Temperature: 0 to +40°C (operation) / -20 to +60°C (storage)
- Humidity: 30 - 90% (operation) / 10 - 90% (storage)
- Olympus E-PM2 PEN Camera Body
- Flash FL-LM1
- Li-ion battery BLS-5
- Li-ion battery charger BCS-5
- USB cable
- AV cable
- Shoulder strap
- OLYMPUS Viewer 2 (CD-ROM)
- Instruction manual
- Warranty card